Back to Laugh and
Back to English
"She who laughs last,
"Laughter is the
"Laugh and the world laughs with you, trip over a big bag of garbage and fall on the sidewalk breaking
a bone or two and you fall alone!"
Advanced Joke Six
"A Game on an Airplane"
This joke is about a simple gambling game. Only one person, however, really wants to play the game. The Engineer
in this story comes up with a clever way to stop the game and win some money at the same time. Enjoy!
(1) A Programmer and an Engineer were sitting next to each other on an airplane.
The Programmer (2) leaned over to the Engineer and asked if he wanted to play a
fun game. The Engineer just wanted to sleep so he politely (3) declined, turned
away and tried to sleep.
The Programmer (4) persisted and explained that it's a
(5) real easy game. He explained,"I ask a question and if you don't know the
answer you pay me $5. Then you ask a question and if I don't know the answer
I'll pay you $5." Again the Engineer politely declined and tried to sleep.
Programmer, now somewhat (6) agitated, said, "O.K., if you don't know the
answer you pay me $5 and if I don't know the answer I pay you $50! " Now,
that got the Engineer's attention, so he agreed to the game.
asked the first question, "What's the distance from the earth to the moon?" The
Engineer didn't say a word and just (7) handed the Programmer $5.
Next it was the
Engineer's turn. He asked the Programmer,"What goes up a hill with three legs
and comes down on four?" The Programmer looked at him with (8) a puzzled look,
took out his laptop computer, looked through all his (9) references and after about
an hour (10) woke the Engineer and handed the Engineer $50.
The Engineer politely
took the $50 then turned away and tried to return to sleep. The Programmer, a
little (11) miffed, asked, "Well what's the answer to the question?" (12) Without a word,
the Engineer reached into his wallet, handed $5 to the Programmer, turned
away and returned to sleep.
(1) a computer programmer, someone who makes the software that lets us do things with computers
(2) he moved his body to the side, closer to the Engineer
(3) he said "no", he refused
(4) he continued, he would not stop
(5) we should say "really easy" but we often say "real easy" even though it is not correct!
(6) bothered a little
(7) gave (from his hand to the other person's hand)
(8) his face looked like he was confused or unsure
(9) books or other materials with lots of information
(10) past of "wake" (he made him wake up)
(11) a little angry
(12) silently, without speaking
Explanation: Even though the Engineer failed twice, he only had to pay a total of $10, but he got $50 for the one
impossible question he asked of the Programmer. He earned $40 AND he was finally able to get some sleep. Do you think
the Programmer is happy that he "won" the game? (The Engineer failed two times but he only failed once.)
Ask Teacher Joe
Ask about a joke or about English, or leave a comment!
Lessons - FREE!