The boss called one of his (1) employees into the office. "Rob," he said, "you've been
with the company for a year. You started off in (2) the post room, one week later
you were promoted to a sales position, and one month after that you were
promoted to (3) district manager of the sales department. Just four short months
later, you were promoted to (4) vice-chairman. Now it's time for me (5) to retire, and
I want you (6) to take over the company. (7) What do you say to that?"
"Thanks," said the employee.
"Thanks?" the boss was (8) taken aback. "Is that all you can say?"
"I suppose not," the employee said. "Thanks, Dad."
(1) a worker
(2) a place that delivers letters, and sometimes newspapers and magazines
(3) a whole, big area of the city or country
(4) the number two position in the company
(5) to finish a career, when an older worker stops working
(6) to become the top person in the company
(7) what's your opinion, what do you think?
(8) a bit surprised