Back to Laugh and
Back to English
"She who laughs last,
"Laughter is the
"Laugh and the world laughs with you, trip over a big bag of garbage and fall on the sidewalk breaking
a bone or two and you fall alone!"
Medium Joke Eleven
This joke is an example of "black humor" with a violent ending, but it is funny because of the man's mistake. I hope
you can understand his mistake and never do this yourself!
A couple of New Jersey (1) hunters were out in (2) the woods when one of them fell
to the ground. He didn't seem to be breathing, his eyes were rolled back
in his head. The other guy (3) whipped out his cell phone and called (4) the emergency services.
He (5) gasped to (6) the operator: "My friend is dead! What can I do?" The operator, in a
(7) calm, soothing voice said: "Just (8) take it easy. I can help. First, let's make sure he's dead."
There was a silence, then a shot was heard. The guy's voice came back on the line.
He said: "OK, (9) now what?"
(1) people who shoot at animals for sport
(2) a place with many trees and animals
(3) pulled out very quickly
(4) part of a hospital that helps with sudden accidents or sudden illnesses
(5) air came out of his mouth very quickly
(6) the person who answers the telephone for the hospital
(7) in a soft, peaceful voice
(9) "what should I do now?"
Explanation: The operator said "make sure he's dead", to see if maybe he was still
alive. So, the operator should have asked him to check if the friend was still alive! We normally
only hear "make sure he's dead" on TV or in the movies, when a killer's boss tells the killer to be sure. The
man in this joke is not a killer, but he acts almost like a murderer (a killer) in this case. The influence of TV is
a little bit scary! (But remember, it's just a joke, not a real story. Right?)
Ask Teacher Joe
Ask about a joke or about English, or leave a comment!
Lessons - FREE!