Back to Laugh and
Back to Learn English from Strange News
"She who laughs last,
"Laughter is the
"Laugh and the world laughs with you, trip over a big bag of garbage and fall on the sidewalk breaking
a bone or two and you fall alone!"
Strange News Story Number Five
"Hurt in an Accident?"
People can feel some "shock" after they are in an accident. Usually a person who is hit by a car
feels the most pain. In this case, the driver of the car also felt a lot of pain. In any case, that is
what a court of law decided. Enjoy!
(1) A motorist who (2) knocked down a young
(3) deaf mute in London after she ran out
in front of his car was (4) awarded more than $700,000 in damages
Thursday for (5) post-traumatic stress as a result of the accident. The
court (6) found that the accident, which badly injured the girl,
had left the 28-year-old motorist in a (7) "parlous" state of health. His
condition was such that he was unable to run his (8) scaffolding
business, which (9) collapsed, and his wife left with their children
because of his (10) behavior.
The child was (11) struck by the driver after she ran out in front of
his car from behind a parked (12) vehicle. A London court made
the award against a taxi driver who
had been (13) ferrying the 4-year-old to her home for almost a year,
as well as (14) the firm the taxi driver worked for.
(1) a driver
(2) hit someone and made her fall
(3) someone who cannot hear nor speak
(5) after the shock (of an accident)
(6) in court, "found" means "decided"
(7) very bad
(8) materials used to help people build new buildings
(9) fell down - his business died
(11) was hit
(12) anything with four wheels - a car, bus, truck, or taxi
(13) bringing back and forth to school and back home again
(14) the company
Ask Teacher Joe
Ask about a joke or about English, or leave a comment!
Tell Your Friends
About This Page!
Just click here