Outside Bristol Zoo in England is (1) a car park, with spaces for 150 cars and 8
(2) coaches. It has been (3) manned 6 days a week for 23 years by the same
(4) charming and very polite car park (5) attendant with a ticket machine.
(6) The charges are £1 per car and £5.per coach. [$1.60 and $8.12 US]
(7) Apparently on Monday 1st June, he did not (8) turn up for work. Bristol
Zoo management phoned Bristol City Council to ask them to send
(9) a replacement parking attendant. The Council told Zoo, 'That car
park is (10) your responsibility.'
The Zoo replied, 'The attendant was (11) employed by the City Council... wasn't he?'
The Council said, (12) 'What attendant?'
(13) Gone missing from his home is a man who has been taking daily
the car park (14) fees (15) amounting to about £400 per day [$650 US] for the last 23 years.
(1) a place to keep your car (in the U.S., "parking lot")
(3) a man is working there to take care of everything
(4) very nice and friendly
(5) someone who is working with customers
(6) the money that must be paid (also called "fees")
(7) it seems to be true (if the story is true!)
(8) come to work, appear at work
(9) a new attendant to do that man's work
(10) the Zoo must take care of that
(11) given a job
(12) they don't know anything about an attendant!
(13) he has disappeared - nobody knows where he is!
(14) the money that must be paid (also called "charges")
(15) the total