Back to Laugh and
Back to Learn English from Strange News
"She who laughs last,
"Laughter is the
"Laugh and the world laughs with you, trip over a big bag of garbage and fall on the sidewalk breaking
a bone or two and you fall alone!"
Strange News Story Number Ten
"Million Dollar Mattress"
This is an unbelievable story about a LOT of lost money. Enjoy!
An Israeli woman mistakenly (1) threw out a (2) mattress she said had almost $1 million inside,
(3) setting off a (4) frantic search through (5) tons of garbage at a
number of (6) landfill sites on Wednesday. The woman said that she (7) bought her
elderly mother a new mattress as a surprise present on
Monday and then threw out (8) the old one. The next day, she said, she
remembered that she had (9) hidden her (10) life savings inside the old mattress. "I woke up in
the morning screaming, when (11) it hit me what happened," said the woman.
(1) got rid of - she threw it in the garbage
(2) the soft matt that you sleep on - the top part of your bed
(4) crazy or wild or very fast-moving
(5) 1 ton = about 1000 kilograms
(6) places to dump lots of garbage
(7) past of "buy"
(8) the old mattress
(9) past participle of "hide"
(10) all the money she saved through her whole life
(11) "I understood" or "I remembered" or "I realized"
Here is a
photo of family members looking for the lost mattress. I hope they found it!
Ask Teacher Joe
Ask about a joke or about English, or leave a comment!
Tell Your Friends
About This Page!
Just click here